Wishing you Happy Holidays from your team at Vivante Health! In case you’re new to us, we specialize in providing digital health solutions for gut health, and we’re committed to helping people navigate the journey toward wellness. Our digital digestive program, GIThrive, was designed to support care for all those suffering from the pain and anxiety associated with digestive disease.
As we enter this festive season filled with abundant food, treats, and merriment, keeping your employees healthy and joyous becomes a priority – and Vivante Health is ready to lend a hand. We offer valuable advice on maintaining optimal digestive health throughout these indulgent times.
Here are some tips to keep your employees’ digestive systems happy while savoring the season’s joy:
1. Stay mindful of trigger foods. The holidays are known for foods rich in fat, sugar, and dairy, which can disrupt your system. 89% of GIThrive members have successfully identified trigger foods to avoid. Keep tabs on how your body responds to different foods and avoid those that consistently cause discomfort.
2. Practice paced eating. Slow and steady wins the race with holiday meals. Don’t rush through your food; chew thoroughly and enjoy the taste. This gives your stomach ample time to begin the digestion process.
3. Stay holiday hydrated. Between eggnog and mulled wine, it’s easy to forget to drink water while socializing. However, hydration is vital for good digestive health. It aids in the digestion of food and absorption of nutrients and prevents constipation.
4. Manage stress levels. The holidays can bring joy but also cause mixed emotions and stress. Stress can directly impact your gastrointestinal system when preparing for a party or dealing with family dynamics. GIThrive offers self-guided behavioral health modules to help manage the stressful holiday season.
5. Prioritize peaceful, restorative sleep. Late-night parties can disrupt regular sleep patterns. A consistent good night’s sleep can rejuvenate the body and keep our digestive system running smoothly.
6. Exercise when possible. Physical activity often takes a backseat with cooler weather and hectic holiday schedules. However, exercise can aid in digestion and keep the gut healthy. It doesn’t have to be a rigorous workout; a stroll around the block can be beneficial.
7. Seek help from the experts. You’re not alone on this journey. Digestive care is a click away with Vivante Health. Our health coaches, registered dietitians, internists, and GI specialists can help keep your digestive system healthy and support your well-being.
8. Minimize alcohol consumption. Alcohol can cause changes in the function of the gastrointestinal tract, leading to uncomfortable symptoms. Moderation is key here – try to limit your intake of alcohol and always drink with food to help protect the stomach lining.
9. Balance the plate. During feasts or parties, include a variety of foods on your plate, with plenty of vegetables and whole grains. This ensures you’re getting a wide array of nutrients and helps to avoid overloading your system with difficult-to-digest foods.
10. Limit overeating. We can sometimes go overboard with our portion sizes during holidays. Listen to your body’s cues; eat when hungry and stop when you’re satiated.
11. Go for sensible snacking. Counteract the tendency to graze all day. Choose nutrient-rich snacks and avoid eating just because food is present. Mindful eating is critical to maintaining digestive balance.
12. Include probiotic and prebiotic foods. Probiotics, found in foods like yogurt and sauerkraut, help in maintaining gut flora, while prebiotics, found in foods like bananas and oats, stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria. Including these in your holiday meals can contribute to overall digestive health.
13. Avoid intense exercise after eating. Give your body a chance to work on digestion. Instead of heading straight for an intensive workout after meals, take a short walk or relax.
14. Imbibe in herbal teas. Consider ending your meal with a soothing cup of herbal tea. Ginger and peppermint teas can help digestion and alleviate bloating and discomfort.
It’s part of our Vivante Health DNA to help employees through the holidays (and beyond!) with a complete approach to digestive health. We strive to help our partners and employers manage the growing impact of gut health on overall wellbeing – and its prominent role in the workplace.
Interested in learning more? Download Gut Health Matters: The Real Cost of Employee Digestive Health Issues. You can also download these holiday tips here.