Accidents – I am terrified to go anywhere in case I have an accident due to my colitis. I keep turning down friends that invite me to various events, and my poor kids are convinced that I have no interest in their extracurricular activities. I get so nervous when I have to go somewhere that if I wasn’t already sick to my stomach, my nerves will make sure I am by the time I should be leaving. So, what do I do, just keep canceling, or hope I get better in time?
Of course you worry about the what-if’s; that is very common with GI disorders. However, you must not allow those what-if’s to stop you from living. Instead, find solutions to remedy what could happen and get back out there.
- Adult protective garments are a huge industry today. They’re so thin that no bulkiness shows through clothing.
- Make up a little emergency kit: a cosmetic bag containing moist wipes, extra undergarments, and a small container of baking soda to neutralize odors.
- Also, check out charcoal activated undergarments. They’re available on medical websites and come in a variety of products and sizes.
- Last of all, calm those nerves. Don’t plan for an accident; just be prepared in the unlikely event of one, then put it out of your mind and have fun!
– Susan F., MSW/LCSW and Vivante Health Sherpa
About Vivante Health
Vivante Health is an innovative digital healthcare company reinventing the way chronic conditions are managed, starting with digestive disease. Our all-in-one digital gut health program, GIThrive, empowers people—through brilliant technology and advanced science—to improve gut health, while lowering cost of care. Learn how employers and health plans are saving money with GIThrive.