Remote – US Only
Vivante Health is an innovative startup reinventing the way chronic conditions are managed. We’re filling the unmet needs of people with chronic conditions that are invisible, neglected or stigmatized, starting with digestive disease.
Why digestive? Because an astonishing 70 million people in the US are affected—that’s twice the number with diabetes and more than many other chronic conditions combined. Unlike other chronic conditions, though, digestive diseases often go untreated or misdiagnosed…because of stigma.
At Vivante, we think it’s time to bring digestive health to the forefront while providing REAL solutions to the millions who are struggling and don’t know where to turn. Our health management ecosystem, GIThrive, empowers people—through brilliant technology and advanced science—to spend less time worrying about their digestive symptoms and more time living life. GIThrive is the first and only employer-sponsored program for digestive health.
We’re a young company, but our collective experience in clinical care, patient education, and consumer technology is unmatched. If you have the knowledge, passion and experience to enhance our team and the idea of working for a fast-paced, sometimes chaotic startup excites you, we’d love to hear from you.
With a remote-first workforce across the USA and Greece, we’re changing the way healthcare is delivered.
We’re looking for a solution-focused Data Scientist with substantial health data experience to join our data experimentation, analytics and ML efforts. Someone with the ability to synthesize complex problems and develop programs to apply data science concepts to improve business efficiencies. If you like discovering and operationalizing insights, collaborating with other great engineers, and empowering business stakeholders to perform self-service analytics, please read on!
Our GIThrive solution works with our members (patients) to help identify and manage their digestive health conditions. A big part of this is integrating a variety of novel and industry standard data sources to build the best model of their GI health to power the best recommendations possible. We do this well for solving today’s problems, but Vivante is investing in the future of health science, and that’s where you would come in.
We’ve recently overhauled our data warehouse, data pipelines, and analytics environments. We’re busy labeling data, optimizing schemas and building models. There’s good momentum here, but still plenty of decisions to be made for a well-rounded Data Scientist that wants to have their hands in all of that.
Why is this a great opportunity for a senior data scientist?
- The problem domain and our approach to solving it is super compelling. We’re bringing together data sources that have never been joined and discovering new GI health insights that help real people to manage and support their real medical conditions
- It’s still early enough that there’s a lot of decisions and new discoveries to be made, so this is your chance to get in early and have a big impact on our data science program
Other things about our environment you should be aware of:
- We’re still a small company, which means that everyone still wears a lot of hats and we need a data scientist who’s comfortable doing some of their own data engineering work. That said, our existing data science and DevOps teams have built an extremely efficient set of data pipelines based on best-in-class hosted SaaS frameworks to greatly minimize the data and AI engineering overhead burden
- We’re all really passionate about improving clinical outcomes for our members and truly advancing the GI health space. Most of us also have personal (direct/family/friend) connections to GI health problems. Whatever it is that fuels you, we’re on a mission to build something much larger than ourselves here and looking for another partner in driving that mission forward
- Define, experiment, and build predictive models that span multiple functions within the business
- Work closely with our clinical teams on building and operationalizing personalized patient insights
- Help further our adoption of of healthcare data standards and interoperability efforts
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor model performance/outcomes
- Support ad-hoc population health analytics to support decision making
- Partner with engineering and contribute to our data pipelines with in-depth knowledge of modern data modeling
- Partner with internal teams to provide guidance on architecture, datastore selection, data modeling, and query optimization for our existing and future applications
You’ll be a good fit here if you are:
- A team player. You like collaborating closely with other engineers, often through pair programming, design & code reviews
- Empathetic to our members’ GI health conditions and are driven to improve their outcomes
- Security oriented. We take the stewardship of our customer’s healthcare data seriously, and take no shortcuts to protect it
- Comfortable with a distributed workforce. We interact with each other via video chat, Slack and PR comments
- A self motivated, creative problem solver
We’re really proud of the team culture that we foster today, which is extremely friendly and supportive while constantly reaching to raise our own standards of engineering. We’re really excited about what we’re building, and usually having fun building it together. If all of that sounds fun to you too, we’d love to meet you.
- Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience designing and implementing data projects
- 3+ years of experience with medical, healthcare and/or population health data
- Familiarity with OHDSI, FHIR and/or other healthcare data standards
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected and diverse datasets
- Strong SQL proficiency
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities with colleagues, business partners, and vendors alike
- Familiarity with GCP Data Engineering & Analytics products a plus (such as BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataprep, AI Platform, etc.)
- Experience working in a HIPAA regulated environment and supporting data security classifications and controls
Vivante Health is an equal opportunity employer