Scientists recently studied the effects of something called the “anti-inflammatory diet” on 40 patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Turns out, 100% of those who stuck with the diet showed an incredible reduction in Crohn’s and colitis symptoms. Furthermore, 100% were able to scale down on the amount of medication they took to manage their IBD.
No kidding. Read on to learn more about this whole anti-inflammatory diet thing…
How Does the Anti-Inflammatory Diet Work?
By eliminating the carbohydrates that encourage the growth of certain bacteria in the gut, inflammatory byproducts of those bacteria are also eliminated, or at least minimized. Sounds complicated, but it really isn’t. The rules are pretty straightforward:
1) Limit intake of certain carbohydrates, like the ones found in processed foods.
2) Eat foods that have pre- and probiotic compounds.
3) Understand the difference between good and bad fats, and avoid the bad ones. This means skipping trans and saturated fats, and sticking to mono and poly-unsaturated fats.
How To Know What to Eat
You don’t have to have a degree in nutrition to follow this diet, we promise. Here are some examples of anti-inflammatory foods:
- Olive oil
- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna)
- Fresh fruits (especially strawberries, blueberries, and cherries)
- Almonds and walnuts
Examples of foods to avoid:
- Red meat (steaks and burgers) and processed meat (hot dogs, sausages, etc.)
- Refined carbs (white bread, pasta, pastries)
- Soda and other sugary beverages
How to Stick with It
The study authors found that the consultation and continuous support of a health expert can be beneficial when it comes to sticking with the diet. Basically, they acknowledge that making food changes is hard, but it appears having an expert to lean on can make a positive difference.
Interesting thing: GIThrive by Vivante Health comes with 24/7 support from a Care Team, including a registered dietitian.
About Vivante Health
Vivante Health is an innovative digital healthcare company reinventing the way chronic conditions are managed, gut first. Our all-in-one digital gut health program, GIThrive, empowers people—through brilliant technology, advanced science, and on-demand expert support—to improve digestive health, while lowering cost of care. Learn how employers and health plans are saving money with GIThrive.